Monday, March 17, 2008

CLIVIA








I began to take pictures of my orange clivia when I noticed the flower stalk emerging from the nest of brilliant green strappy leaves. I was in Los Angeles about a month ago and the clivias planted along the streets there were starting to send up flower stalks also. So it seems that although my clivia's atmosphere is artificially controlled, it received the same message as it's California relatives, it's time to bloom. My clivia has been in bloom for a couple of weeks now. Each morning I smile when I come downstairs and see those spectacular bright orange flowers brightening the living room. Clivia is related to amaryllis, the popular Christmas flower, did you know that? Another not so well known fact, clivia is a native of South Africa and is named in honor of Lady Charlotte Florentia Clive, Duchess of Northumberland.

1 comment:

Kylee Baumle said...

Let me formally invite you to become a member of The Clivia Club! It's a newly-formed group for Clivia owners so that we can help each other out and share our Clivia stories.

You can join by leaving a comment here.

If you are on Facebook, you can join The Clivia Club group here.