Thursday, October 9, 2008

TEMPTATION



It's nearly the end of growing season but there are still lots of temptations in the garden centers.
I think I already mentioned my fascination with pansies and violas. Both of these are members of the genus, Viola (Violets). There are over 400 species of Violets. The cute-faced, fragrant blooms of pansies and violas can be found in white, shades of yellow, blue, red, and bi colors. Not only are these wonderful flowers a treat for the eyes and nose, they are edible, high in vitamins A and C.

Here's a little know fact, Ancient Greeks considered Violets a symbol of fertility and love and used them in love potions.

Fall bulbs are another temptation. I have no problem by-passing ordinary tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths, it's the more unusual bulbs that grab my attention. Fritillaria, a member of the Lily family is said to have a skunk-like smell but I like the droopy bell flowers. Alliums or ornamental onions are show stoppers. The larger allium bulbs are a little pricey but I consider them an investment. There are several species available and I am having a hard time deciding which species to invest in this year. I do like the smaller alliums, like "Drumstick" also. I wish the garden centers had allium variety packages. Maybe bulbs will go on sale soon.



No comments: