Friday, October 17, 2008

CHRISTMAS CACTUS


The first time I saw a Christmas Cactus in bloom (about 35 years ago) I was overwhelmed, to say the least. How in the world could such a beautiful orchid-like flower emerge from such a flat ugly leaf! Actually, the Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera sp) is found in the same environments as orchids. They are epiphytes and native to the jungles of Central and South American. Although I've had at least one Christmas Cactus plant over the last twenty or so years, the bud production on my plants this year is the most abundant ever.
I had repotted my three plants in the spring, using potting mix and a slow release fertilizer. The cacti spent the summer outdoors in a shady area along with my other houseplants. They got a dose of liquid fertilizer a couple of times during the summer. About a month ago I noticed flower buds forming. This was about the time when daylight was noticeably shorter and night temperatures noticeably cooler. According to research, cool temperatures or long nights are required to induce bud formation. However, if temperatures remain in the range of 55 to 65 degrees for a six week period the plants will develop buds regardless of day length.
I think my plants will be in full bloom within the next couple of weeks. Hmm, does that make them Thanksgiving Cacti? Thanksgiving Cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) is actually the more common plant. Bloom time, however, is not necessarily what distinguishes the Christmas Cactus from Thanksgiving Cactus. The leaves of Christmas Cacti have rounded leaves as compared to the sharply serrated or "toothed" leaves of the Thanksgiving cactus. Also, flowers of the Thanksgiving Cactus are asymmetrical and have wings on their ovaries.

Okay, okay, I guess my Christmas Cactus is really a Thanksgiving Cactus.

5 comments:

digital said...

Bravo.
It's a nice blog.
Fantastic pictures.
Are you ready for christmas?

Please visit:
http://bali-universe.blogspot.com

Keep blogging.

Good luck

Gardens by T said...

Thank you for the compliments.
Ha ha ha...no way am I ready for Christmas. Right now I'm concentrating on getting my tropicals indoors before they get frosted.

Kim Caro said...

cool i love that cactus. my mom has one and we used to have one in the back but i think my dad chopped so the nephews wont get hurt.

also we eat cactus too. my gramma always cute it up and give it to us.

Swimray said...

My 'thanksgiving' cactus usually blooms around Christmas. Thanks for pointing out the difference in terminologies, which I did not know.

Cold weather usually sets mine off - I have a setback thermostat, which allows the house to get colder at night and during the day when I am at work.

Kate said...

Now I know what I am doing wrong. I've always keep them but never had a rebloom. I'll try your technique! Nice blog!