Tuesday, October 21, 2008

GOODBYE

During the month of October the weatherperson is the most important person in my life. I listen closely to the daily forecast, hoping I won't hear the "f" word, FROST. At least four times this month I have run around with old sheets covering my tender perennials and tropicalsA couple of the Brugmansias have not even bloomed yet and there are still plenty of buds on the Tibouchina. The Dahlias are blooming like crazy. I can't bear to say goodbye to any of these plants until the last bud has opened. Tonight, however, the forecast is for a hard frost. I have to say so long to the growing season. All is not lost though. I cut as many blooms as I could and made bouquets. Ah, the lovely bouquets look so nice on my front porch.

3 comments:

Kim Caro said...

aw such a sad time when it comes to plant.s

Vylat said...

It is a sad time of year for us gardeners. Time to turn to our houseplants, Yes? Have you tried the new Protek covers? Posted about them recently because they're new and great for outside plants. Drop by for Halloween.

Surrow-Hansen.Com said...

That is a sad time here in Denmark too. We are in zone 7 and sit with the ear sticking to the weathermans reports too. The frost usually comes last in October or first in November. The Brugmansia trees are moved inside, where some of them bloom until January-February, and the Pelargonias bloom all winter long, but the Dahlias flowers go with the frost, when they are looking their best.