Tuesday, April 22, 2008

TOO MUCH TOO FAST

Don't get me wrong, I love this weather. Who wouldn't love a nearly eighty degree day in April in Michigan! But, remember what spring is all about. It's about a slow change. Plants slowly emerging from the soil, trees slowly leafing out, the temperature slowly rising from freezing to pleasantly comfortable. When we get too warm too fast all of nature seems to be on the fast track. A garden bed that is flat and brown in the morning is covered with three inch shoots by afternoon. The bare branches of the early blooming shrubs magically sprout flowers overnight. I want to shout, "slow down". I've been waiting five freezing, icy, dreary, snowy months for spring and I want to see and enjoy every single little change. I want the forsythia to take a few days to fully blossom. I want the crocuses to have their chance to shine before hyacinths and tulips overshadow them. Would it be too much to ask the lily of the valley and hosta to show restraint. Please stay put at least until I've raked away your dead leaves from last fall. Most of all I want the garden centers to slow down, stop teasing me with those frost susceptible pretties that should not be planted til Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

amen!!! there was no winter down south it felt like... spring came in february it felt like.

GalleryJuana said...

I like it when the seasons change slowly too. We are finally getting into spring where I live.
Gallery Juana