Saturday, April 5, 2008

ETTA JAMES

I bought the tickets over a month ago. A friend and I drove over 100 miles to the Whiting Auditorium in Flint to see the great Etta James. For a minute though, I thought someone was playing an April's Fool joke. The emcee introduced Miss Etta James. A very thin, light skinned, brown haired woman walked slowly onto the stage. (Why did I forget to bring my binoculars). The program said Etta James had lost over 200 pounds but I wasn't prepared for this skinny little lady. HOWEVER, when the skinny little woman opened her mouth and the first soulful note emerged I knew it was MISS ETTA JAMES. And she is still the queen of raunch, lots of innuendo and lots of simulation. Her awareness of young children in the audience tamed things down a bit. The performance was signed, I'm sure the signers had a big challenge translating some of the lyrics. ( Miss James gave both signers a big hug when she left the stage.) I enjoyed the performance so much. To actually see Etta James perform the songs I'd heard a zillion times on CD was fantastic. She sang many of her signature songs, "I'd rather go blind"; "I just wanna make love to you"; "You can leave your hat on". Of course the highlight was every one's favorite "At Last".

No comments: