Sunday, May 15, 2011

THE SUMMER PALACE

The Summer Palace (The Garden of Peace and Harmony) was built by a Qing emperor in an area northwest of Beijing. The natural features of the Garden are the Hill of Longevity and Kunming Lake. These are complemented by man-made features, bridges, boats, sculptures, pavilions, temples and many other buildings.

When I entered the gates of the garden I was totally taken aback. Although the sand storm blowing unrelentingly across the lake made me shiver, blink and cover up as much as possible, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the place. The low mountains, bridges, pagodas, and graceful willows were the typical elements of a Chinese painting.  In spite of the large crowd I could feel the tranquility and experience the harmony of the setting.




 
















 We were surprised to see this group of tupperware dealers from Indonesia posing for group pictures. Notice that the banner is in English.


No comments: