Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My very own Bird of Paradise flower

"Wait til next year"! Isn't that the motto for all avid gardeners! Is there research about the average life span of gardeners? It is a fact that we gardeners are keenly aware of the need to take care of ourselves, we must endure, we must live to see another spring.

Seven years ago I vacationed in Maui. The trip included a visit to a beautiful botanical garden. The plants were amazing tropical wonders that I could only dream of growing in my zone 5 garden. However, I am the eternal optimist when it comes tropical plant collecting; I purchased Bird of Paradise seeds. Back in Michigan I planted the seeds and marveled at the two beautiful strong plants that emerged. Each fall I hauled the potted plants to my basement to overwinter. The two Bird of Paradise plants grew stronger each year but did not flower. That is, until this year. I could hardly believe it, the stalk that was shooting up contained a flower and not another leaf. It has been well worth the seven year wait to watch this intricate and beautiful Bird of Paradise flower bloom in my very own backyard.

2 comments:

Swimray said...

Please let us know how long the flower lasts. Congratulations on the satisfying accomplishment. I would have given up by now:-)

garden girl said...

Wow - that is gorgeous T. How fantastic that you grew them from seeds!