Wednesday, May 14, 2008

90th BIRTHDAY

I feel blessed. I was able to help my mother celebrate her 90th birthday. Her birthday was actually in February but her 13 children, nearly 50 grand and great grandchildren and about 200 other family members and friends gathered on Mothers Day eve to celebrate our matriarch.
My mother looked majestic in a long black taffeta dress, a perfect contrast to her short, beautifully coifed white hair. The theme of the party was "My Mama's Story". (My sister, Mikki, wrote the poem, "My Mama's Story" last Mothers Day to honor our mama.) Mikki read this tender biographical poem during the program. My cousin, Adrianne, sang "The Wind Beneath My Wings" and "There's a Hero". Mom's children pre-recorded special tributes and memories which were shown during the program. Birthday proclamations were read and some of Mom's volunteer organizations presented her with plaques. The program concluded with the grandchildren bringing their grandmother flowers and gold-wrapped "Werthers" candy(Mom's favorite) along the "yellow brick road". It was a fun and wonderful celebration and a magical evening, full of family love and friendship. I'm sure my mother enjoyed every minute of it.

1 comment:

Joy De Vivre Design said...

How terrific and she looks so stylish at 90! You go mom!! :)